Welcome to Population Malawi!
- Malawi Population at 17.5 million: 2018 PHC preliminary resultsPreliminary results for the 2018 Population and Housing Census puts the total population (de-jure) at 17,563,749 up from 13,029,498 in 2008. The total population has grown by 35 percent between the 2008 and 2018. The population for males is 8,521,456 representing 49 percent of the total population while the population for females is 9,042,293 representing… Read More »Home
- Population is among 5 KPAs in MGDS IIILong term development planning in Malawi is currently guided by the vision 2020 and is implemented through 5-year medium term development strategies. In 2018, the Government of Malawi launched the fourth Medium term strategy, the Malawi Growth and Development Strategy (MGDS) III (2017-2022). The theme for MGDS III is “Building a Productive, Competitive and Resilient… Read More »Home
- Miss Malawi supports population slow-downRecently crowned Miss Malawi, Cecelia Khofi, is living up to her billing. Under just two months to her title, she has already met the UNFPA Malawi officials several times, and plans to present a talk on population before parliamentarians come 28th June 2017. Organised by the pageant sponsors, Zodiak Broadcasting Station (ZBS) and The Nation… Read More »Home
- Malawi Registers Remarkable Fertility dropConcerted efforts by the Malawi Government and its partners have led to a decline in the number of children Malawian women are having in their life time from 5.7 to 4.4. The Population and Development Unit (PDU) of the Ministry of Finance, Economic Planning and Development (MoFEPD), recognizes that the development is as a result… Read More »Home
- Malawi Population TrendsThe Population of Malawi is projected to nearly triple from 13.1 million (2008) to 42 million by 2050. Such a large increase in population will present enormous barriers to the country’s social and economic development. Managing population growth is essential to creating a healthy and economically sustainable future for Malawi. The Population and Development Unit… Read More »Home